|Price||100g / 5,000 yen|
|Habitat||Fresh Water environments|
|Anime||Toriko Jump Special|
|[v · t · e]|
The Pincer Fish can grow to great sizes, with an adult being able to reach a length of 7.5 meters, a height of 2 meters, and a weight 4 tons upon reaching adulthood. It has a rather smooth and slimy exterior as well as two peculiar horn or spike-like protrusions near the top of its head. Its most notable trait are its two large, red lobster-like claws.
They seem to be rather simple minded creatures that feed mainly on insects, such as Giant Grasshoppers. They mainly reside in calm freshwater environments with plenty of space, such as lakes, rivers and marshes.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
These beasts are not very aggressive but can still use their claws in combat to snap prey and foes in half. However they seem to be defenseless against aerial predators such as the Five-Tailed Giant Eagle, for if caught in one's talons they seem unable to fight back.
Its fishy torso makes for a light delight, but the lobster claws are so delectable they put even top-quality crab meat to shame. Its meat can also be made into a delicious ramen soup. Around 100 grams of the Pincer Fish's meat whether it is from the body or claws can fetch a market price of around 5,000 yen.
Galala Gator ArcEdit
Toriko catches a Pincer Fish with a fishing pole made from a 76-millimeter steel rod with wires used for elevators wrapped around it and a Giant Grasshopper as bait. However as soon as Toriko catches it, a Five-Tailed Giant Eagle swoops down and attempts to take his prize. The beast is no match for Toriko's strength and he pulls it down along with the Pincer Fish using his steel fishing rod, sending the bird and the fish crashing down and earning himself a hearty catch. The young chef Komatsu, who observed the entire event, is left both frightened and amazed at the hunting action that unfolded before his eyes.
Cooking Festival ArcEdit
After Toriko had lost his will to continue being a gourmet hunter, Rin got together as many people as possible to cheer up Toriko, who all thanked him for his many gourmet discoveries which brightened their lives. One person even thanked Toriko for discovering the Pincer Fish. The people then gave Toriko their favorite foods which he had discovered.
In the video game series, the Pincer Fishes are shown to have a variety of different subspecies:
- Fiddler Crab Fish (シオマネキフィッシュ Shiomaneki Fisshu): This species of Pincer Fish has accumulated a large number of nutrients in only one of its claws, making one appear bigger than the other. In Toriko: Gourmet Survival 2, they appear in the underwater areas of the Table Prairie at night.
- Saws Fish (ノコギリフィッシュ Nokogiri Fisshu): This species of Pincer Fish has claws that resemble sawtooth blades as well as sharp fins which makes them more dangerous because of it. They are far more violent and territory than common Pincer Fish. In Toriko: Gourmet Survival 2, they mainly appear underwater in higher levels.
- Hair Crab Fish (毛ガニフィッシュ Kegani Fisshu): These Pincer Fish have what appears to be hair covering their bodies and are capable of surviving in cold environments. Their pincers appear to be filled with a special jam that is very sweet. They can also be made into a miso soup delicacy. In Toriko: Gourmet Survival 2, they appear in the Freezer Ice Field.
- Lantern Fish (ちょうちんフィッシュ Chō-chin Fisshu): An elusive variety of Pincer Fish, it lives only in dark environments and lures prey using the lantern-like angler on its head. Its liver is considered a delicacy and can be made into a foie gras. In Toriko: Gourmet Survival 2, they can only be found in dark underwater environments.
Appearances in Other MediaEdit
Toriko Jump SpecialEdit
The Pincer Fish appears in the Toriko Jump Special OVA which depicts the events of the Galala Gator Arc. Like in the manga, Toriko had caught one and a Five-Tailed Giant Eagle using a steel fishing rod.
Toriko: Gourmet SurvivalEdit
Pincer Fish appear as enemies in the PSP game Toriko: Gourmet Survival in underwater areas and the Submarine Cave of Megamori Island. They mainly attack by striking with their claws and swimming into targets.
Toriko: Gourmet Survival 2Edit
In Toriko: Gourmet Survival 2 for the PSP, Pincer Fish appear once again as enemies early on in the game. They appear in the underwater areas of the Table Prairie in the Gattsuki Continent. This game also introduces a variety of new Pincer Fish subspecies, such as Fiddler Crab Fish, Saws Fish, Hair Crab Fish, and Lantern Fish.
Toriko: Gourmet MonstersEdit
Pincer Fish appear in the Nintendo 3DS game Toriko: Gourmet Monsters. It is one of the many enemies and tamable beasts in the game which the player can use for coliseum battles.
Toriko: Bakushoku Gourmet BattleEdit
The Pincer Fish appears in Toriko: Bakushoku Gourmet Battle as an enemy and ingredient.
- Crayfish are freshwater crustaceans resembling small lobsters.
- If one excludes the Narrator Highlights and the creatures from the pilot chapters, the Pincer Fish is the first beast to appear within the main story of Toriko.