|Manga - Anime|
|Occupation||Personal Chef to the King of Jidar |
|Manga Debut||Gourmet 84 (mentioned)|
|Anime Debut||Episode 96|
|Japanese Voice||Nanba Keiichi|
|[v · t · e]|
Joa (ジョア) the "Dark Chef" is a legendary chef from long ago who would have become the world's first "Super Cook", but due to his rule-breaking and dark deeds, his chances at fame were forever lost and his name was intentionally suppressed and buried in the annals of history.
He is currently the personal chef of Darnil Kahn, the king of Jidar and is the leader of the secret organization known as NEO. He is the only man alive known to be able to completely remove the poison from a Poison Potato and is in possession of information related to many amazing ingredients including the phantasmal drink from Acacia's Full Course Menu, ATOM.
Important Notice: For convenience purposes in this article, Joa will be referred to as a male until there's a confirmation on his gender. This does not mean we consider him a male, it is just done to improve the flow of the article. Joa's gender can be discussed in the comment section below. - Toriko Wiki Staff
He is a tall, thin individual who normally wears a colorful blue, yellow and purple full-body outfit with an ornate chef's hat which normally only leaves his eyes visible. His stylized hat has several points hanging from it with small balls at the ends, which combined with his colorful clothing makes him resemble a medieval jester.
On other occasions, mainly when he needs to act in stealth or whilst preparing to engage in battle, he has been shown wearing a fully black outfit with a cloak and a hood which leaves only his eyes visible. The rest of his body is covered by a dress that reaches his knees, along with trousers, long boots and gloves which are all black in color.
His true appearance greatly resembles the "Chef Goddess" Frohze, having the same face and hair as the holy chef, although his face appears to be covered in what appear to be either numerous scars, veins or cracks, and his eyes have slit pupils and his hair has numerous little balls hanging from them like the ones on his chef's hat. The reason for his similar appearance to Frohze is currently unknown.
Powers and AbilitiesJoa is very likely to be one of the best chefs in the world, and he would have won the very first Cooking Festival had he not broken several rules. He also has important data regarding Acacia's Full Course Menu. Joa was originally speculated by Setsuno to be very strong, as she assumed, correctly, that the new scar near Zaus’s eye was his doing, and blamed the "Chef King" for lowering his guard; however, he replied he never got distracted for a moment. Mahmai Moi was confident enough in his abilities that he believed NEO could challenge anyone present at the Cooking Fest due to his imminent arrival. He was also shown to easily intimidate Teppei, a saiseiya said to be on par with the Four Heavenly Kings in terms of power, who even believed that had it not been for the saiseiya network rescuing him, Joa would have killed him with ease. In fact, Teppei even stated that merely facing Joa gave him the feeling that he was going to be ‘cooked.’ His presence alone was sensed at once by all the best fighters in the arena and prompted two Nitro to go into the stadium to attack him. Toward the end of the fight at Cooking Fest, Joa showed the true extent of his combat prowess: he managed to wound Setsuno, whom he would acknowledge as one of the world's top fighters shortly after, and come out unschated from a confrontation with both her and Jirou, one of the three legendary disciples of Acacia. It was hinted by the two opponents that he has eaten Acacia's Full Course, thus gaining total mastery over the power of his Gourmet Cells, which he can use to increase his physical capabilities. When this happens Joa's face takes on demonic features.
His information network as a member of NEO is considerable as he knew about the secret meeting between Ichiryuu and Midora as well as the fact that Toriko wished to confront him, even before the king of Jidar did. He also reasoned that confronting Toriko's group would be meaningless and possibly detrimental and exited Jidar long before they came to the castle, and kept Teppei's brainwashing a secret until the last minute by working on an already existing scar.
His physical abilities remain largely unknown, however he managed to cut the Nitro without effort and at such speed that they could not avoid his slash. This is a note-worthy feat as the Nitro are shown to have incredible speed, being able to bite Ozone Herb in two places at once; as well as, being durable enough to break Livebearer's knives when he tried attacking them. He is strong enough to launch an attack with his knife capable of destroying a building and slicing the sea.
Joa is the personal chef of the (former) head of a country. As such, his abilities in cooking must be of the highest grade. He was said to be the only man capable of completely removing the venom from a Poison Potato, a feat that even Setsuno is not capable of. He was also revealed to be the first chef to win the Cooking Festival. However, it is unclear if his cooking skills are superior or inferior to Setsuno's since it is implied that he needed to break certain rules to take first place.
Like "God of Chefs" Frohze, Joa can use the power of his Gourmet Cells in conjunction with his cooking.
Through unknown means, Joa has managed to obtain the kitchen knife that once belonged to the “God of Chefs,” Frohze, Cinderella (claiming that it was his for that very reason). It is a beautiful blade of the finest quality with which he is capable of using his Taste Change technique and utilize the power of his Gourmet Cells in the process.
- Tasting Scope (テイスティングスコープ, Teisutingu Sukōpu): A type of vision that allows Joa to see and measure the strength of any creature by their “flavor” and “savoriness”. He claims that “flavor” is determined by thought and that life energy is what determines a person’s “savoriness”.
- Taste Change (テイストチェンジ, Teisuto Chenji): Using the Cinderella knife, Joa slashes his opponent, leaving a visible scar. This technique is referred to by its user as a form of cooking which allows him to change a person's thought and thus, their “flavor”. It seems to brainwash and turn the target into a minion of Joa. Instead of a fresh wound appearing, the victims gain a scar that appears aged. The Nitro he demonstrated this on were instantly subjected, but it is unclear how much time is needed to take over a stronger person's will: for example, Teppei seemed to be normal after being rescued by Pukin, although this may have been an act.
- 10 Million Slice Fillet (億枚おろし, Oku Mai Oroshi): Joa swings Cinderella in a serpentine pattern which creates a slash made out of either pressurized air or Appetite Energy. When blocked by Setsuno's special defensive move, the attack dispersed into a powerful and gigantic blast made up of millions of smaller cuts capable of cleaving through buildings and even the sea with ease, travelling for various kilometers. Not even the aforementioned Gourmet Human National Treasure came out unscathed from this technique, reporting minor wounds all over her body. Joa initially believed that only Acacia's three disciples could defend against it, and expressed surprise when Setsuno blocked it.
- Freshness UP Revitalizing Cut (鮮度UP蘇生切り, Sendo UP Yosei Giri): A dark technique in which Cinderella is thrust into the ground and creates a shock wave of slashes that spreads around its surroundings, healing and awakening any fallen creature in the vicinity much like a defibrillator. It also has the special property of enhancing the targets' physical abilities while making them minions of Joa as well.
- Instant Shedding (瞬間脱皮(しゅんかんだっぴ), Shunkan Dappi): A technique where Joa sheds his heavy outer coat quickly enough to surprise fighters of Setsuno and Jirou's caliber, combined with a movement to either retreat or attack his opponents. He could jump up so high that he almost reached clouds after using it.
- God Cooking (神の料理術(ゴッドクッキング), Goddo Kukkingu): A Dark Technique that allows Joa to perform complex cooking and other powerful techniques regardless his condition, thanks to the power of his Gourmet Cells. It makes his facial appearance change substantially too.
- Sky Cut (空切り(そらぎ), Sora Giri): A horizontal swing of Cinderella that was powerful enough to obliterate a massive tsunami. It can also create a vacuum to suck up enemy attacks. Setsuno stated that this technique originally belonged to Frohze.
- Satan Mince (魔王のみじん切り(サタンミンチ), Satan Minchi): A powerful cooking technique used by revealing Joa's Gourmet Cells. After changing into a demonic appearance, Joa is able to mince a powerful enemy attack with Cinderella. With it, he blocked Jirou's Guinness Punch, which the latter claimed that was powerful enough to rise all the way to outer space.
- Satan Slash (サタンスラッシュ, Satan Surasshu): Joa swings Cinderella to produce a wide air slash capable of holding back opponents of the caliber of Toriko's and Starjun's.
- Chaos Slash (乱斬り, Rangiri): Joa rapidly swings Cinderella sending a volley of slashes capable of cutting Sunny's hairs.
- Land Slash (陸斬り, Riku Giri): Joa stabs Cinderella into the ground creating a large wave that blocks enemy attacks.
First Cooking Festival
Two hundred years ago, Joa won the world’s first Cooking Festival and became the first to hold the esteemed title of “Super Cook”. However, Joa's title was apparently quickly revoked as a result of his breaking several rules (which were not identified) and he was thus eternally banished from Cooking Fest. His title was then defaulted to the runner-up, the future “Gourmet National Treasure” Setsuno. After his disgrace and banishment from the fest, Joa’s name and the records of his false victory were forever buried in the annals of history.
Century Soup Arc
During the events of Ice Hell, after Colonel Mokkoi discovered there was no more Century Soup left he decided to seek out new ingredients to satisfy him and then proceeded to contact Joa for information on which ingredient he would seek out next.
Meteor Garlic Arc
After Livebearer's defeat at Gourmet Casino and his subsequent change of heart after Komatsu’s inspiring preparation of the Meteor Garlic, he decides to offer information on preparing a Poison Potato and info on the whereabouts of the great ingredient ATOM to Toriko and his friends, telling them that the only man who holds this information is the “Dark Chef” Joa himself. He was later seen talking to the King of Jidal Kingdom and asking the maids to leave. He seems to have quite a vast information network, as he knew about the meeting between IGO and Bishokukai and even about Toriko's coming to the Palace to confront him. He also has knowledge about the 'Secret Notebook' that belonged to Acacia and he also told the King that the Gourmet Casino was useful to gather information on ingredients, but now that Livebearer served his purpose, they decided to take their leave and proceed to abandon Jidar.
Four Beast Arc
After the defeat of the Four Beast, Teppei is shown to be tailing Joa. Joa compliments Teppei on being able to track him, upon which Teppei states that his specialty is tracking ‘suspicious guys.’ Teppei states that Joa is the mastermind behind the Four Beast but when he inquires about Joa’s goal, he is merely warned not to delve deeper into the matter or his death would ensue.
Later, Joa is shown to be eating from a bowl of fruit which contained Teppei’s head and hand. However, due to the fact that Teppei woke up afterwards, it is unknown whether this event truly occurred.
After the confrontation with Teppei, Joa later went to the Gourmet Pyramid to look for the Ancient Cookbook that Komatsu had obtained when he went there with Toriko and Zebra. Joa became shocked that the book was missing from its spot and left swiftly to get it back.
Cooking Festival Arc
After Setsuno realizes that Zaus has made contact with Joa, she reveals that Joa was the champion of the 1st Cooking Festival to Chiyo and the NEO members present, but due to him breaking several rules, he was barred from ever participating in the Cooking Festival again.
Later Joa appears riding a Tokage above the Cooking Stadium with Teppei by his side. Joa comments that this is his first fest since 200 years ago. He then begins to scan the creatures in the Cooking Stadium for their life energy and flavor, wondering if he should change them like he had done to Teppei. When he landed on the arena, Zebra launched his Voice Missile at him and the now mind-controlled Teppei. However, Teppei protected Joa and subdued Zebra. He revealed to the Heavenly King that Teppei is a completely different person now through his cooking. Two Nitro appear to attack Joa only for him to use Taste Change to turn them into his minions. Setsuno then recognizes his knife as Cinderella, the one once owned by the legendary Chef God Frohze herself, and asks him why he had it in his possession.
Joa answers cryptically, by saying that is exactly the reason why he now possesses the knife, then casts Oku Mai Oroshi at Setsuno, generating an incredibly powerful blast of air which destroys a good portion of the stadium and cuts the sea in half. Even when Setsuno countered with her Aji Nagashi, she received numerous wounds all throughout her body. Setsuno questions Joa's intent and what he was looking for to which he replied there was a certain chef with whom he would like to speak to. Joa then proceeded to stab Cinderella into the ground, using the Freshness Up: Revitalizing Cut on the three Nitros who were defeated by Zebra, awakening them and making them even more powerful than before, and sends them after Setsuno, paralyzed by Teppei's roots. Upon Jirou's sudden arrival, he expresses mild surprise. Jirou then prepares to fight Joa after defeating one of his Nitro. Joa then recalls that Jirou was once called the Rampaging Beast before becoming Acacia's disciple. Thismakes Jirou wonder how Joa knows so much, however Joa only replies by belittling Jirou for his drinking habit. Jirou then calls Joa an idiot and unleashes his "Grand Knocking" to paralyze almost everything in the Human World and quite possibly the whole planet, much to the shock of everyone present.
Joa is somewhat impressed by this but notices that not even Jirou could stop the rotation of the planet, but still refers to him as a monster, even in retirement. Jirou then silently proceeds to cut Joa's hood to shreds to uncover his identity, but he and everyone present are shocked to see that Joa's true face is that of the "Chef Goddess" Frohze. As Jirou and Setsuno express their shock, Joa leaps in the air at great speed and uses Cinderella to cut a giant tsunami in half with Sora Giri. However, as Jirou and Setsuno attack him with their combined attacks, Joa reveals a demonic-looking face and blocks the attack with Satan Mince. Joa then reverts back to Frohze's face as he is confronted by Starjun on his Braga Dragon, holding an unconscious Komatsu, and asks him to hand over the boy, revealing that Starjun was actually the second strongest member of the Bishokukai.
Starjun refuses Joa and then reveals a third eye on his forehead. Joa expresses his admiration of Starjun's ability to control his Gourmet Cells and remarks that Starjun's birthmark as well as the fact that he was born with Gourmet Cell Genetics. When Starjun challenges Joa to a fight, Joa refuses, saying that with Jirou and Setsuno fighting him at the same time, he would be at a disadvantage in a fight. When Joa hears Midora's voice, after concluding that Midora's and Ichryuu's fight was ended, he orders the Tokage to get the other members of NEO.
Afterwards Joa is seen talking with Mohyan and Joe about their plans at the NEO Headquarters while the latter prepares the ship to head to the Final Land. Joa then orders the members of his organization to "head out" after suggesting a celebration, likely to carry out their plans.
Anime and Manga Differences
- In the anime, Joa uses Cinderella to cut giant earth pillars formed from the Grand Knocking, while in the manga Joa used it to cut a tsunami in half.
- In the anime, the events that took place after Jirou cut Joa's hood off are drastically altered.
- In the manga the two simply exchange attacks and Joa later confronts Starjun about handing over Komatsu, but he is forced to retreat after the fall of the Meteor Spice.
- In the anime, after Jirou cut his hood and then they and Setsuno exchanged their attacks, Joa gets the upper hand and attacks Setsuno but Jirou then blocks the attack with his body but ends up having a hole cut into his torso. Joa then tries to kill them off but is stopped by a Flying Fork from Toriko who arrives with Starjun and both join forces to stop Joa. This notable difference from the manga heavily changed the plot of the anime from that of the manga to the point where the events from the manga can no longer progress accordingly.
|Chef Goddess||Frohze (deceased)|
|Top 100 Chefs (current)||Zaus • Setsuno • Brunch • Damala Sky XIII • Yuda • Anyo Jr. • CM Goron • Pippi • Kurakage • Sumire • Mitsurou • Klaraman • Three Eyes Horis • Wabutora • Chiru • Yuuji • Livebearer • Reishun • Tairan • Gen-chan • Lulubhu • Kopuriko • Darin • Koyubi • Appolo • Mami • Rikiya • Moh • Tsurara Mama • Ton • Kamizaru • Makubee • Granny Kama • Nerimaru • Ahn • Komatsu • Ega • Niis • Muhan|
|Bishokukai Chefs||Dores • Kuromado • Kariu • Boneless • Starjun • Grinpatch • Tommyrod (deceased) • Ryoutei • Chiyo • Ootake|
|Others||Atashino • Meria • Ume • Joa • Nono • Pen • Tacchino Kawagoe • Koryou • Cumin • Monchy|
|Members||Colonel Mokkoi • Darnil Kahn • Joa • Mahmai Moi • Kousairou • Kuriboh (IGO spy) • Zaus • Shigematsu • Uumen Umeda • Appolo • Nomarch • Ahmon • Toppo • Mohyan Shaishai • Kaitora (taste changed) • Joejoe (taste changed) • Kuromado (taste changed) • Dores (taste changed) • Niceny (taste changed) • Boneless (taste changed) • Kariu • Teppei (taste changed) • Kuriboh (IGO spy) • Gido (deceased)|
|Beasts||Shigematsu's Beast • Joa's Tokage|
|Other||NEO Headquarters • NEO's Ark|
|Related Articles||Company Gourdarake • Jidar Kingdom • Gourmet Tourism Public Company|