|Four Heavenly Kings|
|Name||Four Heavenly Kings|
|Affiliation||Komatsu, IGO, Gourmet Knights,|
Underground Cooking World
|Manga Debut||Chapter 1|
|Anime Debut||Episode 1|
|[v · t · e]|
The Four Heavenly Kings (四天王, Shitennou) is the name commonly given to the group formed by Toriko, Coco, Sunny and Zebra. They all are incredibly powerful Bishokuya who were trained since childhood by IGO president Ichiryuu.
Despite the presence of stronger and more experienced individuals than the kings existing, what truly makes the Four Heavenly Kings the most idolized and recognized bishokuya of their generation is the countless achievements they have made in the field of gourmet hunting by discovering countless new ingredients, with just one of their members having discovered over 6000 kinds of new ingredients. It is these many discoveries and contributions to the Gourmet Age that makes them stand out among other bishokuya, making them "Gourmet Hunters" in the truest sense.
Each of the Four Heavenly Kings have honed one of their five senses to extreme levels :
- Toriko - Smell (to the point of being able to smell other creatures fluids or scents from several kilometers away)
- Coco - Eyesight (to the point of being able to see in the dark and perceive the electromagnetic waves of his targets)
- Sunny - Touch (to the point of being able to use every one of his hairs as individual feelers to sense any structure around him)
- Zebra - Hearing (to the point of sensing vibrations and sounds from several kilometers away and being able to locate himself and his targets through echolocation)
It goes without saying that the fifth sense (taste) has been heightened greatly due to the large amounts of food the four have consumed, though still a far cry from the taste skills of the Gourmet Seven. For example, Toriko was able to determine some of the ingredients in Century Soup by tasting it once.
Each of the Four Heavenly Kings have been implanted with Gourmet Cells that have given them superhuman abilities. They are:
- Toriko - Superhuman Strength; Superhuman Speed; Intuitive Learning Capabilities; Appetite Energy Projection; Autophagy.
- Coco - Poison Generation and Crystallization; Excessive Anti-Body Possession and Production.
- Sunny - Hair Manipulation, Rapid Hair Growth, Hair Constructions, and Extremely Durable Hair.
- Zebra - Sound Generation, Manipulation, and Perception; Excessive Strength; Anger Energy Source.
|Four Heavenly Kings|
Each of the Four Heavenly Kings have an animal partner, powerful beasts (with unmeasurable capture level) that have been tamed and now work with them acting as their companions. Zebra and the Dharma Horse are a possible exception as it was "lent" by the Dharma-Hermit to Zebra.
- Toriko - A Battle Wolf named Terry Cloth
- Coco - An Emperor Crow named Kiss
- Sunny - A Mother Snake named Quinn
- Zebra - A Dharma Horse, whose name is still unknown
HistoryThe Four Heavenly Kings are some of the most renowned, powerful, and influential Bishokuya that have ever existed. Before the beginning of the story, the four trained from a very young age together under the tutelage of Ichiryuu, who also presumably implanted them with Gourmet Cells. Having endured incredibly harsh training the four grew into superhuman Bishokuya. By the time of the current story, each member has become individually renowned in their own unique ways. Toriko becomes famous for discovering and categorizing new ingredients; although mainly for his own enjoyment, as opposed to forwarding knowledge. Sunny became famous for his vanity, as well as his Bishokuya skills. Coco eventually decided to quit the Bishokuya life and live in semi-seclusion near Gourmet Fortune; this was partly to escape the attention of IGO scientists who wanted to examine his body's poison abilities. Zebra's monstrous power and appetite eventually made him an infamous criminal and one-man natural disaster; his wiping out of whole species dramatically affected ecosystems, changed the course of wars, and threw whole nations and economies into turmoil.
Although they trained together and complement each others abilities, the Four Heavenly Kings are reluctant to band together for any reason. This is mostly due to petty personality conflicts, rivalries, or reluctance to share food. Toriko believes that Komatsu, who has grown close to each of the four, is the key to eventually reuniting them.
- The term "Four Heavenly Kings" or Shitennou was used in Japan as a title for the four strongest and most loyal vassals of various famed warlords, including Minamoto Yorimitsu, Takeda Shingen and Tokugawa Ieyasu. The term is likely a nod to the mythological Four Divine Beasts of Si Ling, common in China and Japan.
|Four Heavenly Kings|
|Four Heavenly Kings||Toriko • Coco • Sunny • Zebra|
|Animal Partners||Terry Cloth • Ob • Kiss • Quinn • Dharma Horse|
|Related Articles||Komatsu • Toriko's Sweets House • Coco's House • Sunny's Helicopter • Full Course Menus • Allies|